View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 12:14 PM   #8
jeffahart

Re: Granny geared 71' K10, I need to go faster...

Well, since he has a K10 likely not 4.56, so he's probably on the cheaper side of the carrier break for taller gears. But then again, who knows what he has.

And, by the way, drive it the way it is, is real advise! Just saying that because OP posted that might not be good advise. Else get a GV (gear Vendors), that's what I would do.

I ran the 4.10s with 33s and loved it. I got 4.56s with my axle swaps and it's too low for highway and I'm probably going to stick with 33s. I am considering a GV. I have my ear to the ground to try and get one on the cheap!

But playing with taller tires is a great way to figure out what gears you want before you make the dive. In that instance it would be feasible to borrow some taller tires from someone and try them on the rear(just don't engage 4wd) then you can see if the effective ratio gets you where you wan to be, before you spend on gears and labor.

But you can plug in your gear ratio to get a rough on paper rpm like sweet did below.

Pictures of the truck and axles would be great. We are very nosy here... we like pictures!