View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #70
shearjs

Re: Project: Rufus Restoration

Put in a few hours with pops and made some progress over the previous weekend. Recently ordered a Lokar column cable shift and was able to get it mostly installed. I'm having a little trouble getting the gear indicator on the column to match up exactly with the actual gears on the tranny. It may just need more adjusting though. Also spent some time trying to figure out where to mount the ecu inside of the cab. We searched high and low for a spot under the dash, but just never really found a place that I really liked, so I decided to mount it under the seat, just behind the transmission hump. Hopefully it works out at that location. We also figured out a dilemma we've been pondering on regarding which rearend to use. Since the truck was originally a long bed GMC, it had a leaf rear suspension, with the narrow rearend. The donor frame we used came from a 72 stepside with a trailing arm suspension and the wider rear end. I had initially planned on using the wide rearend, but found a crack in the pumpkin and decided to go with the narrow. Bought same axle mounts from ECE a while back, and finally got those welding into place. Swapped in some 5 lug Mosers and bolted on the rear caliper brackets. Still need to get some rear rotors on order but that should finish up the rear end, aside from brake lines for now. I plan on doing a gear swap and a posi at some point, but the current goal is to just get back on the road. Also measured for a new driveshaft and plan to get that order in soon. All that progress and only 1 picture. What a shame.
Attached Images

shearjs is offline   Reply With Quote