View Single Post
Old 01-25-2016, 03:22 PM   #120
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Re: Sarge's rattle-can rebuild

If you're not familiar with military Blazers, the gov't spec'd them out CHEAP. Besides the inside being a bare-metal tub, you don't get a console. Someone on another site made a console out of an ammo can and it looked pretty cool, so I had to try one. I've had this sitting around waiting on me to install it, time to figure it out. I got the cupholders from a marine website, I think it was Overton's. The other pics are just me trying my hand at fabrication. I got the steel from Home Depot for maybe five or six bucks, then heated it up and hammered it into something that might hold a console. I was afraid it might bend right or left over time, so I made end caps and welded them on. This is my first time welding anything. I bought a MIG a while back and it sat around waiting on me to buy some gas for it and give it a try. I only had a few bucks in this so it was a good place to learn. The back sides tell the tale, the front sides were dressed with a 40-grit flapper disc. At first I was zig-zagging all over the place like a 10 year old trying to learn to drive in a 1950 Buick. It took a little bit to learn to see the seam and the wire and control it with any success.
Attached Images

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote