View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 12:14 AM   #7
jocko

Re: Timing Marker _ Crate Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan5O View Post
With the cover off I saw that the timing wasnt aligned TDC.
Gotta describe in more detail. If the dots aren't lined up (if that's what you're referring to), that most likely just means it's been rotated (hopefully AFTER the dots were aligned when the chain was installed). And the builder would definitely need to rotate after chain installation. I don't know if, for instance, GM rotates all to TDC on #1 before they ship, but I kinda doubt it as there is no reason to. If your distributor isn't installed yet, you will need to figure things out before you install. If it was installed by the builder, then I probably wouldn't worry too much (but I would be checking it all out anyway - TRUSTNO1.... (cue X-Files music))

EDIT: Ah, sorry, you posted #6 while I was typing with my thumbs. Was the distributor already installed by the builder? Recommend invest in a crank socket and breaker bar (though a 1/2 drive ratchet should turn it over pretty easily) or, if your balancer is installed, one of those Gucci flywheel/flexplate clamp wrenches to be able to turn the motor over. Remember, easier with the spark plugs out). Regardless of how much I trusted the builder, I'd want to confirm proper timing before firing. But to your original question, it doesn't mean it's NOT timed just because the dots weren't aligned when you pulled the timing cover.

Last edited by jocko; 02-13-2018 at 12:28 AM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote