View Single Post
Old 06-18-2017, 09:56 PM   #1
Leadbelly

Rag Joint Replacement and 2" Body Lift

I love the stance of a 3/4 ton SWB Step side. Instead of compromising the ride with stiffer 3/4 ton springs to achieve a 2/ lift I decided to build a 2" body lift with some Delrin i had lying around.
One of the issues with the lift is increased stress and angle on the original rag joint. I decided to replace the rag joint with a couple of u-joints and a section of telescoping steering shaft.
By doing so I break the increased angle down in half. I got a much tighter steering tolerance, and a bit of increased safety (collapsible steering) to boot. If the steering is too sensitive to vibration (as some state) it will be easy to replace lower joint with a new rag.
In all, an easy couple hour project. I may swap the CPP joints with Borgeson ones just because they are black and less noticeable.
I have posted pictures of the project on my Flickr account... the body lift has a album as well as radiator rubber project and the carb rebuild. On to the Column shift rebuild next - love a three on the tree when it does not hang up.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dodson...57662779313234

Leadbelly
Leadbelly is offline   Reply With Quote