View Single Post
Old 07-20-2018, 12:04 AM   #6
sixty4bigwindow

Re: Crate SBC best deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudzupatch View Post
I priced machine work and parts to a rebuild my 350 and it was roughly $1,800. This assumes boring the engine and new pistons. If I wanted the roller cam that is another $250+. Then of course my time to assemble. I enjoy that part but it does take a lot of time and there is the reist of making a mistake or the machine shop making a mistake.

One other big advantage to the L31 is it comes with Vortec heads. These are often said to be the best heads Chevy offered.

So if I add vortec heads I am well over the $2,000 price of a new engine. Plus I wouldn't have one piece rear main, roller camshaft or warranty.

For me it was a no brainer. Plus I have the new engine sitting in the shop before i start taking my old one out. I could have it back on the road over a weekend if no issues.
See, when you put it that way, it really is a no brainer. And you can sell your current motor for at least a small amount back on what you put out for the new setup. Its all making more sense now lol.

My build thread for "Rocket" - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753023
sixty4bigwindow is offline   Reply With Quote