View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #41
SeventyOne

Re: The "In over my head" build thread

Update 3.17.10

So with the recent struggles I had removing the leaf spring bolts I FINALLY have a solution...

Tried a hammer to knock them out - worked on one, other 3 didn't budge
Tried a torch on the rubber bushings - got them nice and smokey but the bolts stayed put
Tried a 5lb sledge to knock them out - this was sort of successful. It move the bolts until the end of the bolt was flush with the bracket and there was nothing to hit

Finally I got tired of conventional methods and out came the tools of destruction.

Grinder with a cutoff wheel - skillsaw with a metal blade, reciprocating saw, and the pneumatic cutoff made short work of the bolts, cutting the rear shackles in half and the leaf spring u-bolts.

Duceducenine stopped by to lend a hand with the cutting (thanks again) - I gave the springs to him to help him out with one of his many projects. I also noticed his side marker was smashed so I hooked him up with a spare I had taken off my Blazer.

Anyways, I can finally get the 12bolt out of there and sold (hopefully) and get the 14bolt ready to put under the frame. Also need to swap the Dana 44 to 8 lug, clean and paint the frame and axles then I'm back to a rolling chassis! Then all I need to do is........
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote