View Single Post
Old 02-24-2005, 04:56 PM   #17
gconn77

My Purpose For This Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by badone07
Not sure it will be cost effective, unless you can't get it to pass inspection. That's a decision you'll have to make, before everyone chimes in to what is not hooked up correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckpaul
Garry, first off, welcome to the board. Have to agree with John on deciding what you NEED in your area. If you are somewhere that does emission testing for inspection, you're in for some serious work, it's all gotta go back like it is on that sticker, and that motor isn't set up to accept all those parts. My guess is that the engine has been replaced with an older one. Your intake manifold not only doesn't have a place for an EGR, but also doesn't have a place for the second four port thermal vacuum switch (one of the devices on your schematic) which would be a threaded hole in the intake near the water inlet. Your exhaust manifolds don't have the tubes for the A.I.R. system, there's no A.I.R. pump, no deceleration valve. A lot of what's associated with the canister vacuum lines is not even on your motor. Even with the right motor in there, it's a BIG job to resore all that, GM doesn't make some of that stuff anymore. It can be done, but it turns into months of research and parts chasing and junkyard digging. Just did all that, we have emissions tests here.
Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome to the board. Very cool place to be! My purpose for this project was mainly due to the fact that I am very paticular about things being perfect. LOL! Secondly, the motor does seem to have some problems. I am located in Clarksville, TN. and in the county I live in I don't believe that there are any emission tests, so that is really NOT a concern (not trying to sound like I don't care about the enviroment).

The main issue with the motor is:
(1) It is an eye sore to see all of these hoses capped off.
(2) The trouble I am having with it.

The trouble is mainly in the morning when starting it. It is very hard to start, especially being somewhat cold here... (Not really all that cold, about 35 to 45 degrees F). Basically after baby'ing the motor for about five minutes, keeping my foot on the gas, and warming it up, it will then idle on its own without stalling. Once the motor is warm it will start very quickly, and very easily. Second to last problem is the gas milage. "I know trucks suck with gas milage" However, 5 miles to the gallon tells me that there is a problem. Last problem is the damper inside the snorkel does not close on its own when the engine is cold. (Please review Post #11, Picture #7, Reference #6).

This amazes me how much I am learning about this truck just by showing you guys the pictures... I now know that this is not the original motor. You are saying that you think that the motor currently in my truck is older than the original? I really appreciate you guys help with this project. Now after you guys know what my objective is... hopefully you all can better assist me. If those vacuum lines are not ever to be used... Then I would be interested in capping them off closer to their sources so that they are not an eye sore. Anyway, I look forward to your responses.

Best Regards,
Garry
gconn77 is offline   Reply With Quote