View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 11:43 PM   #15
ryans69chevy

Re: Applying weld-thru primer

Awesome thanks for the heads up Greg. I will have to see if the automotive supply store has some or maybe the same brand im using in a different color.

Eric and Robert this is very interesting... why don't they tell you that in the directions? Could be why a couple of my spot welds came loose. I thought it was from over saturating the area. The way I understood it from the salesman is that you weld right on top of the stuff and the heat produces a wax that encompasses the weld to prevent corrosion. Maybe I miss understood him or didn't hear him mention drilling the primer off before welding. The heat from the weld must grab the wax from all sides and bring it in to encapsulate it then.

You guys mentioned spraying epoxy over the weld... is there another product that I can get in a spray can that has a longer shelf life that is better than a standard primer? Since I don't have an air compressor I'm limited to using spray cans. The areas that will be exposed will get epoxy when it goes to the body shop, but the area I'm doing now is the top of the inner roof and drip rail braces which will be covered up after I reinstall the outer roof skin.
ryans69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote