View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 11:58 AM   #38
BrianG

Re: Lets talk Small Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I've never run a big block in these 4wds. Mostly 350s, built a couple 383s, and had some with a 400. I have no use for a big block in a 4wd. I look at them like tractors, where power comes through gearing more than HP. I like the 400 SBC in a 4wd. That's why I like 383s. It's about that stroke.

I wish I could tell you the specs on my '72 350 I built in '91. I believe I used an RV range cam and bumped the compression a bit. It's no monster but runs out nice. I had a cracked head this summer and put a fairly fresh pair of 1.94s on and it runs better yet. I was concerned the bigger valves would mess up the combination, but they were cheap. Turns out it runs better.

I was about to build a 383 before I found those heads. That is still the plan for some day. I have another engine for that.
Good info! Thank you. From how I read this, I read that with the right cam even stock heads can make good 4x4 power. However, the 383 would really put a smile on my face. I need to figure out which cam I have I guess. I don't want to end up with a situation where I drop in a cam and end up not being happy and then go heads and bigger cam or whatever. Not like test driving a car where you know what you are getting. The more information I can get from others like you will definitely help.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote