View Single Post
Old 06-05-2018, 11:44 AM   #915
rgunlock

Re: My 78 K15 High Sierra build - Fish Tremble

Update on the build that never ends I did figure out the gauge fuse issue. My clutch pedal has a long swing and is right next to the fuse block where a lot of the wiring comes in. Apparently the pedal was shoving into some wiring causing the problem. I never actually found any damaged wires, but tied them back further out of the way and haven't blown a fuse in a couple of weeks now.

I've also started the drivetrain upgrades I've spoken about. Spent the weekend - a damn hot weekend - swapping out the rear axle from the 3.08 to 4.10 with limited slip differential. What a chore!

Good news is that I now leave two marks on the driveway, and I do have the correct gears for sharp curves and right turns. Flip side is that since I'm still running the SM465 I am generally running at higher RPMs for everything. This pointed out that my old driveshaft needs to be balanced. Initially with the new axle, it was vibrating pretty hard once I got up to about 20MPH. Took it loose and turned it 180 and now its much better but I still notice the vibration up around 2500 RPM.

I definitely need to follow up with the NV4500 upgrade to get the overdrive. Right now, in 4th I'm pretty sure at 2500 RPM I'm only doing maybe a little over 50, although the gear calculators say it should be doing 60. Something is wrong there, but I need to use the GPS to figure out what speed I'm really doing - this morning was my first drive in 4th and I didn't have the GPS with me.

Any case, getting closer to DONE! I've got a fun weekend coming to swap out the front axle, then another for the actual NV4500 swap and it should all be downhill from there. Note that I'm being pretty optimistic about those 2 chores only taking a weekend apiece - this old guy don't move around so fast in the heat anymore

EDIT: The GPS tells me I'm only doing 48MPH at 2500 RPM in 4th gear. Something's not right. Thought it might be the parking brake dragging but I've loosened up the cable with no improvement.

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500

Last edited by rgunlock; 06-06-2018 at 10:06 AM.
rgunlock is online now   Reply With Quote