View Single Post
Old 06-24-2018, 04:05 PM   #919
rgunlock

Re: My 78 K15 High Sierra build - Fish Tremble

Been using it for relatively light duty stuff at least. It's been sitting for the last week though. I called the drivetrain shop that did the original work on these "4.10" axles but got the "I'm slammed this week, call me next week" response. Been there done that with this guy, so took it to a different shop and got 4.10 installed in the rear. They also discovered that the "tangs" on the pinion yoke had one side sheared off so they replaced it. That was allowing the u-joint to move enough to cause the vibration from the drivetrain. First shop never noticed or mentioned that. Any more work I need done - maybe driveshafts after NV4500 swap - I'll be going back to Northwest Drivetrain.

Now the aggravating part. On the trip to the shop I noticed I had no turn signals. Dammit, another electrical gremlin! This weekend I tracked it down to the cluster circuit sheet where the leads going to the left turn indicator were fairly mangled and apparently shorting, blowing the fuse whenever I used the left turn signal. Cut that section out and reinstalled the cluster for probably the 20th time. Turn signals work now, but I have no indicator in the cluster for left turns. I'll live with that for now, but I have ordered a new circuit sheet. Was going to install the new front axle this weekend, but troubleshooting the turn signals took too long.

I'm excited I'll be driving Hazel again this week. My backup vehicle is a '96 Mazda Miata (my go-cart). While the Miata is fun to drive, at my age and size its much easier climbing up into the truck than trying to drop down into a seat literally about 8" off the pavement

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500

Last edited by rgunlock; 06-24-2018 at 04:15 PM.
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote