View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #21
66-PMD-GMC
The 60-66 GMC/Pontiac guy....

Re: 67-72 frame conversion for 63 Knee Knocker Cab and Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
hey guys, i can say that i too am in the middle of doin the same thing! i have a '64 on a '70 frame, i measured and measured and what i found out was really all it takes is cut the frame horns off, switch the front crossmembers, and switch the rear cab mounts out! if i remember right the rad. core support bracket moved foward like an inch. don't quote me on that i don't have the frame infront of me! i think on mine the rear cab mounts only one hole lined up and i had to drill the other three per side! i'm tryin to remember since i started my conversion last summer! i also am waiting to see if the frame horns are lined up before welding them in! in my build thread you can kind of see that i have a 1/4" plate that my frame horns will be bolted to for now then welded later!
I am making a template from 1/16th" thick steel plate for the prifile of the front of the frame. (side)
I am convinced the 69 frame I have has a slightly different frame horn angle than the 63 frame. That would explain the differances in height of the bracket to frame top.
I am going to form the plate against the 63 frame once the brackets and rivets are all gone and make a drilled profile template that I will pin to the new frame to properly locate the template.
Once done, I will be able to immediately see the differences in the frames from the wheel centerline to the horns and also be able to transfer the holes needed to install the front cross member for the radiator support.
I am going to probably need to remove the core support brackets on the 69 frame to use the template but that will tell me where everything should be and also help to line up the frame horns that hold the bumper.
The jig I am making will hold the frame in a parallel position to guarantee heights and I will use this to set the rear cab bracket heights.
The rivets by the way, are much tougher little turds than I thought they were going to be.

Building Genuine Pontiac Firepowered cars and trucks for several decades.

Why Pontiac?? That's just me daring to be different.

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac

Last edited by 66-PMD-GMC; 07-05-2011 at 09:07 PM. Reason: spelling
66-PMD-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote