View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #30
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

After a few days of working on OPS (other people's stuff) I'm back on CRLS. I ordered some inner door bottoms recently and decided I'd fit them into place prior to hauling the sheetmetal to the metal blaster recommended by Chip. That way, they can media blast the inside of the door skin which will make it much easier to install the patch panels.

I'm still on the fence about whether to weld the panels in or use panel adhesive. Ordered a small MIG welder today from Eastwood which I plan to use when shortening the bed and if it works reasonably well, I may weld the door panels with it as well. Part of my dilemma is that Duramix was bought out by 3M and their adhesives are now as rare as a North Korean chicken. Naturally, the 3M cartridges won't fit the $60 Duramix applicator I have. At least my paint store guys said if I buy the 3M adhesive, they will loan/rent the applicator. Decisions, decisions!

Anyway, below are some pics of a surgically removed lower door bottom and the panel in various stages of trial fit. With the weather improving daily, I need to finish up some of this prep work because it won't be long before the Craigslist longbed arrives.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote