View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 04:13 AM   #95
mechanicalman

Re: Anyone ever had luck getting summit to honor a warrantee for a bad crate engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.PASSMORE View Post
mechanicalman, thanks for the info. I will need some guidance on the build. I do have AFR 64 cc w/ 195 intake runners and I'm running straight dump 2.5 OE corvette manifolds.

Air speed, don't give up on it. Ill let you know when I start the top end rehab and thread. The last time I had a stock bottom end rebuilt/reassembled at a good machine shop, it ran about $1500. So, with your crate motor, you have a good bottom end if you want to "pump it up"!
I used to run ram's horn manifolds on my truck, 2.25" angle-dumps. Then did fairly well in dual exhaust with crossover pipe configuration. I was able to improve on them.

I noticed when they are bolted on, they tend to sag a little and tended to mis-align with the head. Using some wet paint on the head I bolted the manifolds on and let gravity do what it does then tightened the bolts, and removed the manifolds. I noticed that the top of the manifold hung down into the port enough to disrupt exhaust gas flow so I got out the grinder and ground out the parts where the paint did not transfer on the top side of the port and blended it in. I don't think it would be productive to grind the bottom of the head port to match the ex manifold, I only modified the top side or the manifold ports.

Then many years later I installed Hooker long tube headers and was amazed at how much better they flowed than the ram's horns through the exact same ex pipes. I will concede that ram's horns are the best OEM ex manifolds out there, and I have no experience with the 2.5" center dumps I expect they would be better than the 2.25" angle dumps.

195cc AFRs are more for 383 than for 350, especially on a 4WD, unless you are geared low and are willing to turn more RPMs.

I hope you were able to salvage/repair the wrecked vehicle
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote