View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 08:09 AM   #11
Scot_Douglas
Fabrication OCD

Re: Starting my first build - 1966 C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.brown View Post
hi from michigan here to before i did all that work fixing that frame i would just find a different frame there around know where two short bed frames are but no long bed frames at the time good luck with the truck
I tend to agree with you - but I'm going to get it on a frame jig before I pass final judgment. If you could see how clean the rest of the frame is - you'd see why I want to save it. I'm sure you know what a rarity a rust-free *ANYTHING* is in Michigan! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowers View Post
Welcome to the site- a lot of good info here. Looks like a great project.
Thanks for the welcome, and expect some stupid questions and ideas along the way. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by protrash64 View Post
from AZ. I love wire nuts and clamps when I open a hood. I would check the frame to see if its square across some of the x-members. Rolling around underneath it for awhile will allow you to judge how much your wife is into it!!

Dont know about your trans question...all autos here.
She's already concerned about my OCD on the truck. I tend to learn everything about something that I can, figure out what I want to do, then do it - and I don't let much get in my way. An excellent example is her latest mountainbike; she's really been getting good and was starting to get held back by her older bike and the fact she's so small - a "regular" bike doesn't fit her well.

I've been building and riding bicycles for a long, long time, so I squirreled away some money, then built her this:

In a nutshell, it is a long-travel "all-mountain" bike with disc brakes that weighs just over 22 lb. I used every trick I've learned from racing bikes and building them to build this (but was too heavy to use).

And, um...the wire nut was my quick fix to repair something I messed up. heh heh - there was stray wires that led from the battery (with one being connected to that spring clamp) to the electric fan the P.O. put in for the woodward dream cruise. I cut both back, then learned the one line was the +12V for the whole truck! Of course, that will change, but alas - the wire nut was my doing for a couple of days. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith View Post
Nice truck!

Here's hoping that your frame is straight so you can move on to the fun stuff!
Thanks! Me too! =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Build View Post
I love the picture in the woods.
That's my yard! lol Here's other angles:

It's all in the angle.... =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Welcome to the board

By the look of things under the hood, it appears to be unmolested for the most part. Bummer about the frame. I agree that it may be better to get another frame.....that is if they are easy to find in your area.

As for the trans, any other trans that has the same shifter location isn't going to shift much better than the SM420 that is most likely in there now. If quicker shifts are what you're after, then you will need to look for a car 4 speed. They will fit without a lot of work, although the shifter will be close to the seat. If your budget allows I would consider something like the Tremec 5 speeds.
I'm hoping for the best on the frame, expecting the worst. =)

As for the trans - I was also thinking a NV4500 would be nice to have, just because it would be a 5 speed with a granny and an O.D. gear. I have no idea what gearing I have in the truck now - assuming it is stock, as everything else is.

The biggest problem with using a different trans is the shifter needs to be far enough forward in the cab for my wife to move the seat forward when she drives. I'm not sure we'd have the option of a car transmission. Also, my wife HATES AUTOMATIC TRANMISSIONS!!! She really likes the gear whine of the stock box too - I tell her it's the only thing I've ever heard that whines more than her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh64pkup View Post
cool build
Thank you, young master Gage. In all honesty, I hope to develop a lot of the skills you show in your build thread (and a little less enthusiasm for building my own mufflers, lol ). A compliment from you (and everybody else I've seen on this forum) is truly an honor.

Thanks for all the great responses.

Scot
Scot_Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote