Thread: 58 TRUK intro
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #91
_Ogre

powder coating

thought i'd post this for anyone interested in doing their own powder coating...
i bought the eastwood powder coat gun and some of their powder to try out on my wheels, pulleys, brackets and misc.

this is powder coat central
junk 30'' oven, top burners removed and an old tv box for my spray booth.
because i eliminated the top burners, the oven runs on a 20 amp, 220v circuit

i was working on my rearend at the time so i tried it out on my backing plates and diff cover.
the stock yellow was a little too pastel so i added a touch of red to the mix and it came out perfect.
the backing plates are still yellow pastel, the wheel is the right color yellow.

then i tried my wheels. new steelies from wheels vintiques. 7x15 fronts and 8x15 rears.
they had some cosmoline for rust prevention on them, so i degreased first, then sand blasted with eastwoods blast-in-a-bucket gun.
i baked the wheels to gas off any left over cosmo and degreased another round.

ideally you want to hang and powder coat the whole item, the wheels barely fit in the oven and any action will knock fresh powder off the wheels. i made a rotisserie to sit on the oven rack out of some wood and an old wheel bearing i had laying around. i pulled the rack out as far it would go and lined the door with some cardboard. then proceeded to powder coat

i had to do the wheels in multiple stages, back & inner front and then front & inner back.
the rotisserie worked out great, i was able to coat everything rather well...

for baking; i started out with an infrared thermometer, wait until the wheels were 415f and the powder flowed out, bake at 400f for 15 minutes and just turn off the oven and open the door. i quit using the thermometer when i figured out that by using the oven thermostat light to check for temperature, worked fine.

finished wheel

i powder coated wheels, diff cover, backing plates, front spindles, coil springs, accessory drive brackets and a lot of other small parts. i have black, yellow and red powder that i bought from eastwoods. but have since found out that powderbythepound.com has a big selection of powder online.

of coarse i had to buy 5 wheels and tires for TRUK

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote