View Single Post
Old 02-15-2019, 09:25 AM   #46
derotoreut
Roto Reuter thats the name...

Re: Show us where you work on your trucks, Shop tour Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-66 View Post
Question for the guys with nice floors. In one picture I see someone with what looks like , their grinding the floor surface on an older floor. Are you resealing this yourself or having it done. Watched an episode on Garage rehab where they started moving equipment in the next day. Others say it takes a week to dry. What are the pros and cons of making a nice floor ? Mine is getting stained and dingy.
Now in my workshop I also let the floor cure for a full 30-days minimum. Also no cure and seal applied; just raw concrete. I had that floor ground and polished. I was too nervous about trying to lay down the Sherwin Williams product on that floor due to the size of the shop. If I had to do it over, I would probably use the Sherwin Williams. It is tough as hell and holds up to any chemical you spill on it. If I would drip oil it would stay there until the day I decide to wipe it up.

My polished concrete floor is different. That method uses several grits of polishing to close off the pores of the concrete. During the process they use densifiers and chemical resistant materials along with a final top that gets polished into the concrete. This is not a coating. It goes into the concrete, so you don't have to worry about anything chipping off. I can drag around my floor jack or jack stands. I can weld without worry of slag problems. There is minimal maintenance. I only have to wash it down and maybe use a cleaner/degreaser once in a while. The down side of it is that it's not as resistant to oil and chemicals like my other floor. If I spill oil on it I pretty much have to wipe it up right away. Oil will soak in if left on the floor. I love the durability, looks and low maintenance, but hate the fact I have to worry about oil.

Name:  IMG_3367.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  45.0 KB
Grinding and polishing floor.

Name:  IMG_3406.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  36.1 KB
Putting down top cap that gets polished into the floor again.

Name:  IMG_3411.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  30.1 KB
After final polish.

Name:  IMG_3412.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  92.3 KB
Close up of the floor.

Name:  IMG_3415.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  34.4 KB
Final result

1970 SWB Fleet K10 4X4, 5.3L LM7, 4L60E, Dakota Digital RTX, Vintage Air, Ididit tilt
1971 SWB Fleet C10 - Original SWB Arizona truck, new custom restoration project

"Kick out your motor and drive while you're still alive - kick it out!" - Heart 1977
derotoreut is offline   Reply With Quote