View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 09:29 AM   #32
gigamanx

Re: Craigslist sanity check: 4L80e + 5.7L SBC 350

Another $700 in parts on the way. Had to get a torque converter for the transmission, replacing the rusty water pump and spark plugs, S10 V8 headers from Hedman, and a fuel pump. Once all that is in place, I'll see where I'm at with the build. I know I'll need some tubing to connect up the water pump, but that won't be needed until I drop the engine/trans combo back into the engine bay. I still haven't decided on how to mount the power steering and alternator. I could go one of two ways... switch to a V-belt setup and run them separately, or get the parts I need for a serpentine system. Any preferences or suggestions out there? For serpentine, I'm mostly worried about the lack of wheels I have on the engine right now and the routing for the belt. Most systems I've seen have an AC pump, idler wheel, and tensioner.

Would suggest getting the JEGS headers because they come with mounting hardware and gasket. Other sites (rhymes with Schmummit) I looked up only had the headers.

I've seen a few S10s on craigslist lately that had a V8 swap and sometimes air ride suspension already installed. They are a bit more expensive at $3000-$4000 but man, in hindsight, that doesn't seem like such a bad deal if the engine and transmission are good. Engine parts seem to depreciate faster than used underwear.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote