View Single Post
Old 12-27-2007, 03:16 PM   #6
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Re: casting number help

The link at inliners to butlers-a1 has your number. It shows as a 73-79 250, possibly with an integral head.

To find the year, you need to find the casting date code. The casting date code is usually above the starter. There you should find a series of letters & numbers. It will look like CON 2 C24 5. Decoding this is fairly simple. The CON 2 means conveyer 2, tells where the block was cast, but doesn't concern us. The C24 5 is the date code. Letter is the month, Jan =A, Feb = B,... Next is the day of the month, followed by the last digit of the year. So C24 5 would be March 24 with a year of 1965, 1975 or 1985.

Also, if you have the integral head (intake manifold is cast as part of the head), I would recommend getting one that isn't integral. They are poor performers due to airflow. If you're just dropping in a running engine, that's one thing, but I wouldn't recommend putting any money into reworking an integral head.

Any head from this series is prone to cracking around the right front corner head bolt. I would buy one that has already been magnafluxed to inspect for cracks, if possible. It's been years since I did head work on a 250, but the last manual I looked at showed a reduced torque spec for that bolt.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote