View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 08:34 PM   #14
bowtie5

Re: '89 350 tbi 5 speed stalling and surging idle

Thanks k5hart. I have put a new egr on. I push up on the diaphram while it is running and it stalls. That is the quick test if it is operating I have heard. I may be overstating the symptoms a bit. This is by no means a reason to park it. It is still my daily driver and I love the truck. Just want it as right as I can get it. You are right, chevytech is the walking, breathing chevy encyclopedia.

Believe me averagejoe, I have thought about grabbing the edelbrock carb and intake combo in the garage, but all of the horror stories I have heard stopped me quickly. Thanks

Hi Chevytech. I am very appreciative of all of your expert advise. I don't want to make any mistakes in my descriptions that will mess up your train of thought. So let me go back a bit.

As far as the cold idle speed... I don't have a tach and the previous owner thought flowmasters that exit in front of the rear wheels was a neat idea... so There may be at least some difference in idle speed at startup. I have a tach that i am going to zip tie to the cowl to verify this for you.

When I replaced the IAC I didn't take the time to check and clean all of the passages. I will do that tomorrow when I hook up the tach.

No exhaust restrictions that I can feel. If you rev it up a little it will blow your hand off the tailpipe (sidepipe).

I guess I need an inline fuel pressure gauge for that test? My buddy at the shop could handle that for me I suppose. What fuel pressure should I be looking for?

Once again I don't want to over exaggerate the symptoms. It does surge and occasionally stall on restarts. Fuel consumption is about 10 to 12 mpg. But it is a running ,driving truck. Just enough wrong that I think it needs addressing. I did forget about one thing I observed.... It sometimes deisels when I shut it off after a long drive. By long I mean not a short 5 minute drive. Anything over 20 minutes or so, Not terribly, but for a second or two it does run on. I checked the timing was at zero with the connector unplugged, after the map, egr, etc was done at the shop. I will recheck that tomorrow with my other tests.

Thanks very much everyone
bowtie5 is offline   Reply With Quote