View Single Post
Old 11-14-2018, 07:57 PM   #7
sweetk30

Re: real weird 14ff pinion setup problem !

this mornings fun.

well i started from scratch today . got it dialed in to about 15" lbs turning force with pressing the bearing first then the yoke each time and tighted down using old washer and nut . undid this combo and repeated to check my work to see if it stayed and it did .

so i installed the seal for good and new washer and nut . now i have around 50"-55" lbs turning force . . . . what the FRIGIN HELL

i even rolled the press out of its corner and put it next to the work bench . this seemed to help a bit dont ask me why

i have an appointment to go to now so i will try and redo this when i get back . . . . yet again .

------------------------------------------

then this evening after i got back home from appointments i had .

so i took the pinion apart again and said screw it keep using the new nut and the seal is in so if i get it there it stays .

well i think i found the problem / AKA monkey in the shop . . . the old pinion nut & washer was not used on the last 3 attempts only the new ones . this was the trick ! i dont know why or care to know at this point . i was able to get 17-18" lbs turning force on the pinion nut with the whole thing clamped in the shop vise . and i have always been told and read 2-3" lbs drag for a seal . so at this point i say RUN IT .

i just dont get why the old pinion nut and washer combo was holding me back from getting this dialed in and repeatable results .

i also had the carrier assembly installed already so i dialed in the backlash to the 5-8 speck and got it at 5-6 so i clamped the bearing caps down good to spec and adjuster preload was set before on the bearings . the locks are on for them . just got to install cover and shafts .

then hope like heck my shafts are done tomorrow at the shaft shop . i called today just after lunch and he said he would be cutting them apart shortly to be set up with new tubes .

this has to be almost the worst / fussy / cranky rear i have done other than a corvette rear diff i did years ago . but he wanted it as close to min specs as i could and the richmond gear set just wouldnt come off the 12-13 backlash anymore . max spec was just below that # so i said screw it .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote