View Single Post
Old 02-15-2021, 07:16 PM   #19
paulspickupparts

Re: fender difference between light and medium duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulspickupparts View Post
Fenders are taller and wider on the Series 4 5 and 6 (1 1/2 - 2 Ton ) than the series 3 pickup version . If you look just ahead of the door gap they almost immediately curve out . Also they are taller on the front . from the top of the fender on the front the big truck is taller by at least a couple of inches . The rears that meet the door are slightly taller in that area. The ribbed area of the wheel opening has thicker rib than a pickup . So it comes out slightly below the door . Chevy and GMC compensated on the big trucks by putting a little scabbed on rocker molding . This add on rocker molding matched the profile of the fender and is wider than the original rocker molding. Its not much taller and mainly in the ribbed area. Probably a 1/2 to 1 inch . I believe the hoods will interchange but thru 55-57 but would have get the tape measure or the impact out to be sure . Plus the front area that meets the grille supports is a different shape and will not match to the pickup. I just cut a big truck fender to grill support area to a guy that is converting a 55-57 Chevy pickup to the big truck grille . He is using pickup fenders with the big truck (boob style grille ) . Also have to convert the upper grille cross bar. I have never checked the actual wheel center opening of a 1/2 ton verses 1 1/2 ton. I will do that sometime . If you were building a 4 x 4 with large tires that would be a nice setup to use. Good luck .
edit
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote