View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 01:09 PM   #16
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Brake warning lamp issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Vett both the brake warning light wires and the head lights come off the ignition switch harness also right? They could be contacting each other in between some place. Maybe even in the plastic connector on the key switch itself. I had to replace my once due to over heating and melting of the plastic. I never did find the cause but it's never done it again since I installed the new connector.
Hello Andy

According to the wiring diagram, the feed wires for the key and headlight switch are separate wires although they both connect with the engine bay wire from the alternator battery junction. Look in the middle of the diagram where the red wires join. One to horn relay, one to ignition switch, one to the fuse box, and one to the headlight switch. All connected at the junction with the wire from the engine bay.

Name:  Copy of Cab-1web panel lights.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  101.1 KB

This one shows the red power wires to the key switch (top) and the headlight switch (bottom right). If we could post both diagrams together and line up the wires it would be much easier to see. Ignore the black arrows they show the accessory wire to the fuse panel that powers the wipers,heater fan switch and turn signals.

Name:  Cab-2-web.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  104.5 KB

The brake warning light is just an open circuit to ground, and it must be grounded for the light to come on. If it gets shorted to a positive wire then the light won't come on because there is 2 positive sources on each side of the light, and no current can flow through it to light the filament. This is how the charging light works in the idiot light dash.

If there were another power source to the light on the brown wire side, when the key was turned to start, the brown wire would become grounded and the light might illuminate, but the other power source would go directly to ground, and we know what that means.

Your ignition switch connector probably melted because of a large amp draw through it over a long period of time. That's why the factory went to the relays instead of running all the power through the ign switch.

If we get some answers from the OP we'll know more about what's wrong.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote