Thread: Fuel Gauge Woes
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 09:17 PM   #6
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Fuel Gauge Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebra View Post
Great info to digest, thanks. On mine, the right terminal is switched 12V, the left terminal (brown/yellow wire) is to the sender, and the bottom/middle is ground on mine. The brown/yellow runs clear to the sending unit bypassing the fuse panel link (could this cause an issue), pink/tan looking is 12V switched from fuse panel, ground is just hooked to a ground block on the firewall. If I pull the brown/yellow wire and put a light tester to it from a power wire, it shows that it has ground through it.

"if it is not connected to anything but the sending unit or if the sending unit and tank are not grounded the gauge will read way over full." I will check the sender ground to see if I have good ground there. Can you clarify by what you mean by "if it is not connected to anything but the sending unit", are you saying if it is connected to the sending unit but the sending unit is not grounded? I am baffled as it all worked before my new harness but my wiring seems correct, I will test by pulling the sender wire and grounding it to see if gauge goes to E. Thanks again.
You had a lot to sort out so I tried to cover everything to save on postings,but that's alright. I wasn't sure how you had the gauges wired but I think I see it now. The tan wires are key on power to the fuel gauge, temp gauge, and brake light.

The sender wire for the fuel gauge (brown/yellow) runs from the gauge to the fuse panel on the 67-72 trucks and then on to the sender. That connection on the fuse panel is just a junction and nothing else goes there.

The wire for the sending unit goes on from there to the sending unit and it is the only wire from the gauge to the sending unit. If you have it straight to the sending unit you're fine.

Now if you pull that wire off the sending unit it is connected to nothing and the gauge should read past full. If you ground that wire then the gauge should read empty. It sounds like you're reading past full, which means that the wire is not going through the sending unit resistor to ground. That's why I suggested that you check the tank and sending unit for a good ground.

The test light check means to me that the sending wire is grounded through the sending unit and the tank which is correct. The sending unit is supposed to be zero to ninety ohms so if it is higher than that it would show an open circuit on the sending unit wire. This would be the same as having it disconnected. I'm not sure what the S-10 unit is but didn't you say it worked fine before?

I'll wait for your next post to see where you're at. VV

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote