View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #87
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

Since I’m a fan of Unity products, I scored a set of NOS Unity Back Up Lights at least five years before they ended up on the truck. Here are a couple of photos showing some of the details:

I honestly don’t remember the source of this photo. I probably took it myself when I was planning to sell the lamps, but it could be the Ebay photo of the kit I acquired. Either way it exactly matches what I purchased, down to the two different types of wire, and broken paper templates (hardened from age). The larger wire coil is a waxy impregnated cloth, while the jumper wire to go between the lamps is vinyl. Although all of the wire was as new, during installation I replaced all of it with newer fire resistant wire. It didn’t seem prudent to use stuff that was approximately 60 years old.

And here’s a close up of one rim showing the marking found on all model “C” lamps:

Pardon the stuff in the photo being dirty. It was just rained on and I mounted the information upside down to keep the top nicer looking.

The stamping says - UNITY CHGO (Chicago) MODEL “C”

Every year or so I would bring them out in the garage, hold them up in various positions on the truck, then put them back in the original box for another year. I just couldn’t find anywhere they would fit and look right. For no reason I can think of the idea of putting them next to the license plate popped in my head, so out they came again for another check.

Here’s what the back end looked like without the lamps:

Here they are clamped to a pair of hardware store L brackets:

A close up of same shot

Pleased with the general appearance, I started working on a sheet metal pan to both permanently mount them, and conceal the wiring.

I had a piece of sheet metal left over that was purchased to repair the lower doors. This shows it trimmed to shape and drilled:

This shows the orientation of the lamps:

A local sheet metal shop formed it on their brake:

I had a painted and assembled photo showing all the wiring, but it was lost in the hard drive crash.

Here’s the first photo of the assembly attached to the truck:

I painted the pan with Blitz Black out of a spray can, and obviously the sheen didn’t come out matching the rest of the truck. At the time I wasn’t enthusiastic enough to reshoot it with spray equipment so it went on as is.

Last edited by markeb01; 10-30-2012 at 12:17 AM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote