View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 03:31 AM   #95
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

In order to provide more convenient access to the emblem screws (required for bulb changes) I decided to move the lamps forward on the bumper. Fitting factory cast brackets didn’t place the lamps where I wanted them, so I fabricated my own from steel plate. Rather than appearing to hide behind the bumper guards, they now looked impressive sticking out in their new forward location. Here are a couple of before and after comparisons:

This led to another inadvertent design improvement. Because the new brackets are even stronger than the bumper, I was able to eliminate the adjuster balls on the bottom of the lamps. The brackets were individually adjusted until the lamp mounting bases were perfectly level. Now the lamps are bolted solidly to the brackets and require no vertical alignment. Left/right alignment is easily accomplished by placing a level across the bare housings before the bulb and bezels assemblies are installed. It’s both simple and rugged and results in a perfectly aligned light pattern.

In the spring I finally got a chance to take a couple of pictures of the truck with its new wheels and fog lamp improvements:

And the first phase of the final engine compartment project was initiated with removal of the majority of the inner fender panels: