View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #85
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside BILLYBOB

Well, work and training has kept me quite busy this week, so I did not update some of the trucks progress.

McMurphy up in North Pole sent me some parts to get started at fitting power steering to the truck THANK YOU !!

On Friday afternoon, Mickey came around bearing a stupid grin and shouting "That blooody truck of yours..... Here's something for it."

And proudly handed over the parts that must have been brought over by Super Man, with the speed of delivery.

Until I have all the parts together for the PS conversion I will just stash them in the trucks cabinet in the garage.

I have also bought this boat tank to convert into a slightly different, pinstriped Jerry can for the truck, when we do long distances with the teardrop, as I have no idea what the fuel consumption may do.

Clearly it will not be a Suzuki tank once done.

After various tasks today, by about 4pm I got started on the Steel trunk I am bolting into the rear of the truck to keep the jack, some tools and anything else "valuable"

Firstly I hand sanded the trunk, then in a fit of genius popped into the woodwork shed and got this little beauty out (found it at the tip years ago)

Photographed the latches as well, as it seems there may be somebodies military force number on the side latches. If anyone knows how to research the numbers, please do and fee back on here.

POSSIBLE LEAD AS TO ORIGINAL OWNERSHIP.

Once sanded back, I cleaned it three times with fresh cloths and thinners.

Then laid out the letters to get an idea of what size I will need for the name I want to add. Just in case you are trying to decipher, it will be 1966 in the bottom line, I just did not have another 6 stencil.

Masked it all off.

The process I am following is being made up as I go along, so never done it before, but logic says it should work.... to create a look of Fake Patina I am layering paint and colours randomly. I will leave this to dry and harden for the week, and then sand it back a lot by hand with water paper, untill it looks right. Then I will use the stencils one letter at a time and either spray or use a bit of foam to dab the paint over the letters, then do a very fine flatting again, after which I will coat the whole thing is Clear lacquer.

Couple of thick coats of primer to use as base.

Then a load of random colours, interdispersed with gold.

Finally a coat of Gold, overlaid with the lovely lurid green you can see.

Unmasked and put away, I was so tempted to stencil today as well.

Hopefully will get around to the grease gun next weekend.

Last edited by Grizz1963; 07-14-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote