Thread: 87' 4x4
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2021, 09:34 AM   #214
TKCR

Re: 87' 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlee View Post
I like it. I got the whole seat from TKCR. She did a great job on it. Looks like brand new. Was told my old one couldn’t be recovered. Fabric was glued on or something. It was from an 89’ or 90’ Suburban.
That’s correct on the 89 and up seat covers, they were actually glued to the foam. I had one myself, came in the truck when I bought it. Now this was before I started restoring seats myself, so I wasn’t even aware that this seat wasn’t the correct seat for the 81-87 trucks. But I had taken mine to an Amish guy that my Dad had used, and he did great work. But when I got the seat back, the cover he made, didn’t lay right on the foam. It was like it had air between the bottom of the cover & foam. He stated that, and I have talked to other people & upholstery shops, and they all say the same about those seats. They say GM went to that because of trying to find a way around everyone’s covers wearing the way they did on the previous years. And it actually did seem to help. Whenever I still see these seats in the junkyards, most of them are still decent.
Here’s a picture of mine, it was just like yours. I didn’t keep it for very long, after it was recovered. Just didn’t like how it turned out at all.
Last pic, is my seat now. Fully restored the frame/tracks and hardware, just like yours.
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote