View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #16
100%Chevy

Re: Post pics of trucks w/fender mount spare tire carriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
The spare under the bed was standard for fleetsides and stepsides. The fender mount spare was a factory option. The fleetsides also had an option to mount in the bed on the bedside, maybe somebody can supply a pic. It is not a hard conversion for anyone that wants to do one. All you need is the carrier, spare mount fender and the carrier braces. The fender bolts in the stock location of the standard fender. Other than a drill and a few hand tools, it is any easy conversion. I did mine because after 7 years of rodeo and 30 broken bones I just didn't feel like crawling under the bed to get a spare. I think it looks nostalgic and its something that I dont imagine you'll see on any modern trucks any time soon. If you need any help, just ask...I can walk you through it. They are repoping the fenders now for around $499, but honestly...I got mine from a used parts dealer in Arizona carrier/fender rust free shipped for $250. Glad to see there are some more trucks out there with the option. The long beds mount much lower...there is a pic above. They almost look like they are sitting on the step.
I'm not dis-agreeing with you but,my 8" bed spare is different
I have a 66,Chevy long bed truck with the spare tire mount on the drivers side fender.It is different than the same on the shortbeds I have.The spare hanger is a little further forward,the cut-out in the fender is the same,but there's only one support rod going thru it.And it mounts the wheel at the same height as the shortbeds.
Completely different from the longbed shown.Must have been at least 2 ways to do it.Maybe one is dealer and the other is factory?
I'll try to post a picture of mine in the morning.
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote