View Single Post
Old 02-01-2005, 03:40 PM   #7
J.Lance
Too many is never enough!

I'm in the middle of two frame off restorations. Both are currently stalled because my trucks are currently in another state (I moved, they haven't made it yet). My advice is to mentally prepare yourself. Pretty easy to get bored or burned out on a big project. That's how I ended up with two! Needed a change of scenery from the first and started a second. Don't recommend that!

Anyhow, I finally figured out a good philosophy. Looking at the project as a whole can tend to be overwhelming. There is a ton to do. More than likely twice the time and twice the money than you originally planned. I started breaking it out in my mind to a bunch of "mini projects". For instance, remove front clip might be one project. Once that is done, move onto the next, i.e. clean and prep frame for paint. Don't move onto another "project" until the previous one is complete. Write it all down and go step by step if you have to. Distractions can be a killer and sometimes it can be hard to get back on track.

Be ready to face some occasional frustration as well. Parts don't fit right, bought the wrong bolt, etc... A good idea to walk away and take a break. Always seems to work out once you're looking at it from a fresh perspective at a later time. Good luck.

Jason

1968 K10 SWB Fleetside
1971 K2500 GMC LWB
1968 K20 (later frame, donor body)
1972 C20 LWB parts truck
1993 K2500 Suburban, tow rig, 454, 4L80E
NEW!! 18' Siem's car hauler
2004 Honda Odyssey (family man!)