View Single Post
Old 09-14-2019, 05:31 PM   #1
dmjlambert

Pictures of inner speedometer cable

You guys know I like lots of pictures. It makes the job I'm getting ready do to less intimidating for a non-mechanic.

My speedometer was bouncy and noisy. I wanted to see what was going on and take care of that. I took loose the speedometer cable at the speedometer by unscrewing the sleeve. I saw posts here on the forum that the inner cable can be removed from the outer jacket by just slipping it out.

I found that it was not easily coming out, and didn't want to force it, so I unscrewed the sleeve at the transmission, unplugged it, and massaged it a little to straighten it out, and let it hang there.
Name:  tran2.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  50.2 KB

Then when I went back into the cab I found the inner cable pulled out effortlessly.
Name:  cab2.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  53.2 KB

Here's where it connects at the transmission:
Name:  tran1.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  33.7 KB

I cleaned it up with some WD-40 and paper towels. Here's what the inner cable looks like (speedometer end):
Name:  cab1.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  34.0 KB

I applied general purpose brown grease to the full length of it, and re-inserted it. Re-insert transmission end into jacket under dash.
Name:  ins.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  47.2 KB

I found when connecting it at the transmission first and then at the speedometer, it was not possible to get it engaged. I disconnected it at the transmission again. It was easier to put back together by connecting to the speedometer first, then attach the other end at the transmission.

When the inner cable is fully inserted, at the speedometer end the inner cable does not poke out very far beyond the sleeve that you screw to the speedometer. It sticks out maybe 1/4 inch. The inner cable sticks out at the transmission side further, about 1 inch.

Test drive. Much better. Good to go for another 50 years.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote