View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 01:15 AM   #107
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

On a lark, I decided to just unbolt the tranny from the engine and see what happens. The engine pulled right out, no problem. I think that rolling it around to lift and separate the engine was enough to undo the torque converter from the tranny.

Now I have to finish re-assembly on the new engine. As it sits right now, I have to pull the broken stub of the dip stick tube from the block so the new one can go in. I need to get the distributer in, mount the water and fuel pumps, install the oil pan and get a carb ready. I have two sets of exhaust manifolds to get ready. I've got 2 starters that I'll bring to napa for testing, hopefully one is good. And I have an alternator for it, internally regulated if I remember right. Thanks to vtblazer I have one to rebuild, but I may get a good edelbrock for almost nothing and use that instead.

I also noticed the inside of the hood is rusted bad, so saving the one from the green Jimmy was a good idea. Also found while laying under it to loosen bolts, the floor pans are really, really bad. I think the carpet is holding it together. Oh well.

I spent another $5 for form-a-gasket and that little retainer for the oil pump shaft, and paid for the new engine $200. I bought a passenger side door at a junkyard and a few small parts for about $55. I sold a few more parts bringing in another $67.50. So I am still ahead by $81.50.

I don't have much left to get rid of, so the balance will end up back in the negative, but so far, heck of a deal!

Last edited by hgs_notes; 04-07-2008 at 01:16 AM.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote