View Single Post
Old 03-09-2014, 12:20 AM   #4
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: Wrecked K5s: a case study

Comparing that truck to recent NHTSA testing photos of new cars I'd have to say id didn't do too bad. At least for the front passengers at least. As far as the integral roll bar, it's not actually a bar, but how the rear of the steel roof is formed and linked in as the "b" pillar. Let's face it, if you end up going ass over in K5, the body isn't going to survive well. Driver and passenger should get out ok depending on the circumstances.

I have a 75K5 with the factory roll bar. I can say this, it's probably less safe compared to the 76 and later models with the "integral" bar. Reason I see is you only have 1 hoop with the 75 version. The windshield header is NOT going to support a thing if the truck ends up on it's lid. It's only bolted to the floor and nothing is out back either. Go look on youtube for a 73-75K5 climbing potato salad hill at Moab that ends up going over and watch what happens to the top. At least a 76 and later metal cab structure forms more of a "box" that won't deform nearly as much as a full fiberglass top would.

IF you want to make it safer to survive a roll over or other accident, cage it. Tie it in right and use triangulation to add strength.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote