View Single Post
Old 09-18-2019, 11:12 PM   #519
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

During the breaks in the rain I got parts cleaned up and some of them painted. And I finished up the bolts for the back angle piece when it was raining. (If you're watching Richard I should get them shipped tomorrow.) I dropped the back angle piece at a sheet metal shop to have them bend me up some so I can try to replicate my rusty one. I was hoping they could do the countersunk spots (Photo#2) but was told they couldn't. Looks like it will turn into another project of it's own.

I picked up new fasteners at Winks Hardware. I didn't think I would have any luck finding the little inserts with the points to catch the wood and a square hole for the carriage bolts. They are used for the bolts going through the 3 support pieces. (Photo #3 shows the originals and photo #4 shows the new one with an old one for comparison. They did have some but they are definitely larger. Which will mean drilling a larger hole. I will try to reuse as many of the old ones as possible but, I think about 1/3 of them are too rusted.
I also noticed a discrepancy in my bolt count. I believe that said there were 11 of the wide headed carriage bolts (bolt #1 in the photo). But having looked at things closer I believe there should be 12 of them. The bolt in question was in a particularly rotten spot and the head looked smaller due to it wasting away from rust. I will edit the earlier post if it will let me.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote