Thread: 79 350 overhaul
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 04:41 PM   #18
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: 79 350 overhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRX View Post
And hope you removed all block plugs so as the clean lobe metal from all the oil galleys. Much work but will save your wallet later on as said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince1 View Post
I did remove the cam bearings and the three screw in plugs at the back end of the galleries. Maybe still do the push in plugs from the front? I've been at it pretty good with engine degreaser and water followed by carb cleaner and compressed air. WD 40 to stop it from rusting. I just bought a cylinder hone so could knock out the front plugs and do another clean after the honing.
Remove the small front plugs as well. There will be new ones in pretty much any "Freeze Plug" kit you buy. Get yourself a set of long handled engine cleaning brushes and use hot water and dish soap to clean out every oil gallery and nook and cranny.

Use the brushes with soapy water to clean the oil galleries from front to back though the little plug holes. Then rinse the block and oil gallery passages with clean water from a garden hose sprayer, and repeat the process of soapy water... rinse the hell out of that block a couple more times and then blow dry with compressed air.

The you can oil it down once it's completely dry to prevent rusting.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote