View Single Post
Old 08-22-2017, 09:07 PM   #63
mattfranklin

Re: PROJECT: How would a Chevrolet dealer build a shop truck in the early 1970s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Anything new?
Thanks for the interest and the question. I'm recovering from hernia surgery and scheming and planning my next steps.

Here's what I'm thinking about. Trying to figure out whether to to just reassemble my motor with the old heads. The engine had good compression before, but when I got the heads apart they were pretty worn. Ideally I'd get a pair of the '186 heads, the ones with the 2.02 valves and camel humps marking on the ends.

EDIT (adding more):
My budget is tight and I don't want to waste any money along the way as I search for a set of reasonably priced correct '186 heads. And I also don't have enough cash right now to splurge for the correct heads. (Remember the '186 heads are the period-correct ones for the 1970 Z-28 Camaro or LT-1 Corvette.) So, while I heal and save, I'll treat my current '624 heads as "practice heads." I won't put any expensive machine work or new parts into them (or at limit myself to parts I can swap over to the new heads). That way I can fiddle with them, install screw-in studs and guide plates using the tools from Comp Cams and not worry much about risking vintage iron while I learn.

This seems reasonable to me because it does not take very long to swap heads on a small block Chevy. I remember a time where it took me 20 minutes to strip down a dyno engine and have the heads lying on the workbench. Of course it will take a little longer to put back together.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567340

Last edited by mattfranklin; 08-22-2017 at 10:16 PM.
mattfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote