View Single Post
Old 09-10-2017, 10:57 PM   #5
HULK64

Re: Project Eugene: 1949 5 Window (Part 2)

Next I found a fulton visor - finally.

Got the rear suspension mocked up. Lower rider depot- great fab pieces

And I'll be dadgum- the wheel is actually centered.

And got the notches in place. Funny story- I got the initial cuts done to cut out the old frame piece for the notch, and as I got through on one side- the whole thing shifted up about 1/2" real fast. I was convinced the frame had twisted or something terrible- turns out the Ebrake cable brackets was touching the bottom of the frame and I didn't know it- putting pressure up. Scared me to death, but all is well!

Mounted the bumpstop up inside it, worked out fine.

Welds

All happy in primer and between the bedsides.

And where we sit now as we wait for a drivetrain! The front will still come down another 1-2" as it's sitting on the bolts for the trans crossmember right now...

We have had an interesting go in October of last year- as one of my best shop helpers got bitten in the face by a dog.

Plastic surgery, over 30 stitches, most of them internal- and lots of hugs later- and she is doing OK. Still a ways to go- she's a tough little chick.
We have still been staying after it on the project, even as it gets cold here in MN.

Had to make a decision on what to do with the inner fenders, since the ones I bought were designed to be used with a stock frame. My S10 didn't line up with the bottom of the fenders at all. So, I ended up chopping off the bottom bend and moving the louvers up into the top half since I thought they were coolest part.

After:

This way the headers aren't an issue, the steering won't be a problem, and the heater lines can sneak underneath these as well.
Before:

Then I stripped the whole thing down and got it sandblasted. Best money I have spent so far. It was perfectly clean- so I welded the important body mount pieces in, and painted it before it got too cold.

Well that was HUGELY motivating, so my son and I got the motor cleaned up and installed pretty quick after that, rapidly followed by headers and exhaust build. The summit builder kit is awesome- makes it so easy. Dynomax super turbo mufflers and 2.5" from front to back.
Just need to install the bed and rear bumper to finish up the exits.

Gas tank is mounted and exhaust got done as well.

Then I found some shoe cobbler molds used to make shoes back in the day and fabbed up some mounts so they can be my pedals.
HULK64 is offline   Reply With Quote