View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #14
63burban4x4

Talking Re: How to replace freeze plug???

[QUOTE=GRX;4755679]Agreed. Likely all the plugs are in bad shape. Some people like to install Brass plugs. No rust but they do expand at a different rate. Have seen a couple pop out under extreme conditions. And I also agree that removing the engine is the only way to properly replace all the plugs.

One might think that brass would be the way to go, to avoid future rust-through, one thing to keep in mind.........after changing all 8 freeze plugs today in mine (motor out) I'm sure glad the ones I removed were steel.....at least 4 of 'em dropped into the water jacket & I retrieved them with the help of a magnet......can't do that if they are brass....just something to think about! I replaced 'em with steel.
disheartend to realize the new ones say "CHINA" stamped across the middle.....first thing ya see, but, I didn't even notice till I was installing the first one! Wasn't going to go 10 miles back to town and search for good old "Made in USA" probably wouldn't find 'em anyway. Don't like it, but gotta keep things in perspective! At least I have all new plugs!

Last edited by 63burban4x4; 06-24-2012 at 07:51 PM.
63burban4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote