View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 11:14 PM   #16
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Re: small diameter HEI dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
The Mallory 'Unilite' MUST be ran on a ballast resistor and be CAUTIOUS of 'high amp charging systems ,, and most of all JUMP STARTING a dead battery and high amp chargers. They are nothing but a on/off trigger that uses a 'shutter' and light sensing diode for the switch.

Mallorys instructions were TERRIBLE and didn't express the requirements for the ballast resistor. The instructions always show the Unilite distributor triggering the Mallory 'Hyfire' CD ignition box,, and NO resistor. THAT is correct, but IF you have the Hyfire to condition the power to the Unilite,, otherwise toasted Unilite modules are going to plague your life. The Hyfire box powering the Unilite distributor conditions the voltage to the distributor and the modules last ,, well I ran one on a street truck for about 5 years, and ran one in the Nova (when it was just a 10 sec car) on the track, for 8 years,, SAME module.

ANYTHING you need for Mallory anything, talk to Sam Solace at centruyperformance.com His speed shop was just down the road from the Mallory plant in Carson City Nev. before the company was destroyed by Mr Gasket group.

OK all that crap said,, Your Unilite 'can' be a rock solid small body ignition if you follow the rules.

Another option, is Daves small body conversions. David Ray is a real piece of work, has been booted from most every forum and chat room on the net and is one of the most argumentative personas in type EVER. BUT if you can get past the personality of a rattlesnake,, his small body HEI conversion is probably one of the most IDEAL conversions for the 'looks' of an old points distributor , with quality modern HEI components. His conversions are not exactly CHEEP, but his work is impeccable right down to new bushings in the body, a correct advance set in the mechanical and advance. Just remember your not buying his personality,, just a quality product which honestly IS the best solution I've found for maintaining the 'points' distributor with a maintenance free GM HEI internals.

http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com/

The Pertronics deal,, well been there dont that,,, and have NOTHING good to say so I'll say nothing about it.
Yes I agree that David RAY, IS a pc of work....sharp...yes, & yes he has been booted, from many boards! Let me ask the ?.... would you like to deal with the man , over issues, on his build? I for 1, would prefer not to play with a "rattlesnake" Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote