View Single Post
Old 09-10-2017, 09:53 PM   #1
HULK64

Project Eugene: 1949 5 Window (Part 2)

This is a second build thread- started over again since photobucket screwed me. Mods- feel free to delete the other build thread since it doesn't make any sense without pics! Bummer to lose that history, but what can you do...

This build started years ago in my head. I have been a Jeep guy for years- this is our current family rig. It's sort of a 1949 Willys. Although the windshield is a 3b, the cowl and hood are from a 2a, the grill is an MB, and the tail gate is a repro. Everything else I fabbed. Rear axle is from a dodge, front is from a Ford, Chevy 4.3 V6 from an S10, and a TH350 with a manual valvebody.
It gets around.

Wifey loves to drive it too.

I built that rig in a standard 2 stall garage at my old house, and covered EVERYTHING in grinding dust and welding slag. So, wifey said no more major projects until I have a dedicated space to build in.
That required a new house, so eventually we moved and originally the contractor that was flipping our house was going to build the shop for us as part of the deal- well, he backed out 2 weeks away from closing, so then it became a waiting game of when rates were right that we could take out the money to build it ourselves.

Here's the house prior to getting started.

Cut down the trees and dug a BIG hole.

I had the excavating and concrete/ block work hired out. Did everything else myself with some friends that were very generous with their time.

Then momma had to have landscaping

The kids "helped" quite a bit actually. My daughter is pretty good with a roofing nailer.

Then we moved in.

Here's the backstory behind why we named the project as we did, and why this all means so much to me and my family.

When I was 18, my father committed suicide. There were a lot of things we didn't get to do together, and I have always wished we could have built something as a father/ son project. Well, the shop was phase one of my plan to do that with my kids- which was the natural lead into phase 2. This is Eugene. My dad's name was Robert Eugene Sutherland, so it's a fitting tribute to him and the legacy we are continuing despite his absence. The goal being to teach the kids to turn wrenches, cut metal and weld, and see a project through from start to finish.
Eugene is a 49 5 window that needs a lotta work, but the price was right- so it followed me home 2 days after getting final sign off on my building permit for the shop. LOL

The cab is in decent shape, along with the doors, front fenders, hood, grill, and bed sides. But I spend the rest of this years budget on patch panels for everything, so that will be what we work on for the winter.
The plan is an S10 frame, bags, cut the 3600 to a 3100 (I know, I know) and an LS drivetrain. Nothing fancy, just solid sheet metal and a lot of love.

I will be asking LOTS of questions when I can't find answers on this wealth of knowledge site. I have never been too proud to ask questions or act like I know all the answers- cuz I sure dont.

Here come more pictures...

Last edited by HULK64; 09-10-2017 at 10:19 PM.
HULK64 is offline   Reply With Quote