View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 08:10 PM   #20
ahlsy

Re: 1972 K20 Suburban

Of course, the first ride I took after installing the pressure regulator, I got a few miles down the road and started smelling gas. A few more miles, and I was getting a little worried. Pulled over and found that the diaphragm in the old fuel pump had let go. Funny thing is, when that happens, gas comes out of the two small holes on the top side of the pump...where it sprays right into the back of the engine driven fan, which of course redirects it back onto the engine and hot exhaust manifold. Long story short, I got back home by tying a rag around the pump to prevent the constant fuel spraying and trying not to rev the engine too high... Made it. No fire. Replaced the fuel pump a couple days later. My fuel pump was a 2 port, though all the research I dd says I should have a 3 port pump. If anybody know any different, let me know. I'm going to be getting around to replacing the fuel tank sender shortly, and while I have the tank down, I'm tempted to run/fix the return line and run the third line back to the tank...
ahlsy is offline   Reply With Quote