View Single Post
Old 06-15-2020, 12:29 AM   #671
cornerstone

Re: Trying to make Junky perhaps just a little bit Funky...

Nice progress man. I think those little knobs are for holding the floor mat in place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD1 View Post
I don't trust my welding skills on a piece of metal that thin.

It does take some time to learn how to weld thin metal, and the welder plays a huge role. I remember when I replaced the floor pans on a classic Mustang and had a $100. cracker box welder. That was a real education on crappy equipment. It was like a large booger next to a blown out hole, next to another giant booger weld next to.... you get the point. I certainly haven't mastered it, but when I stepped up to a Millermatic 250 and figured out the beauty of thinner wire and less current, my welds got way better.

It's held in place with welds from the spot welder and I know it looks scary as hell, but it's actually pretty solid. This was during my REALLY Sucking at Welding period. Now I just do sucky welds instead of really sucky welds.

I appreciate your sense of humor and honesty with yourself and the rest of the world. It's quite refreshing... So many builds just show the cool stuff and perfect "stack of nickle" welds, and when a guy who's learning how to bring his prized possession back to life compares his work to perfection, it can really take the wind out of his sails. I think most guys have difficulty as well and to see you keep on keepin' on is really great

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.

Last edited by cornerstone; 06-15-2020 at 12:50 AM.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote