View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 09:54 PM   #26
Cameron 1137

Re: '66 Corvair "Marigold"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
That actually looks pretty cool. I did a little research on it, the back was used more like a "bed" for storage, no kiddies sitting on top of the motor

After seeing the pic, I think I've seen one before, I remember wondering what the hell the vents were for on the side of the body (now I know they're for the engine), it must have been one of these.
yep, they are called lakewood wagons. chevy only made them in 1961, and 1962. the engine compartment was located under an insulated cover in the cargo area, so no kiddies burned their buns! heres a pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
Beautiful car! I used to have two, a 65 Monza and a 62 spyder. The 62 was the ugliest car i ever owned and the only turbocharged car i have ever owned . I had a lot of fun driving the 65, it was super fast and handled awesome once I got used to the rear engine. The only thing I didn't like was the occasional cab filling cloud of black smoke that I would get once in awhile. I could never figure out where it was coming from.
I still have a pair of bucket seats I pulled out of it when I found a pair in better shape than the ones that came with it. I spent a fortune at Clarks Corvair parts. I still regret selling it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks! the late models handle great with their IRS. that cabin full of smoke sounds like fun! it might have come off the block and through the heating ducts? and yes, its very easy to spend a fortune a clarks!
1966 Chevy Corvair 500, "Marigold" SOLD
2005 Subaru Outback Wagon DEAD
2008 Pontiac G8, New Winter/Daily
Cameron 1137 is offline   Reply With Quote