View Single Post
Old 01-07-2019, 10:06 PM   #53
Feel the 'Pane

Re: Just got an NV4500, can't find the oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old57 View Post
UPS came through today and delivered my Advance Adapters kit and a new flat transmission cover. I modified the other new cover to work with my shifters with the SM465, but now it'll need to be different so I'm starting over. I got the special oil on Wednesday. This evening, I shortened the output shaft according to the AA instructions, and installed the new tail shaft housing. All of the pictures I've seen of the adapter housing, it was aluminum. I was pleasantly surprised to get it and it was heavy cast iron. Earlier in the week, I cleaned and painted the transmission. I might get a chance to do the swap this weekend...
FYI : if AA sent you all cap screws, make sure they're all SAE & not metric (I got a mixed bag of both in my kit), & suggest that you buy or make studs in place of the bolts that connect the T-case to the trans. Not only did my cap screws come loose (while I was driving!), I had to make a special tool to tighten the cap screws, which probably contributed to them coming loose in the 1st place.

By the time I smelled the oil leak - I lost enough trans fluid to burn both main brgs & burn 3rd gear...

I bought a 2 ft piece of B-7 boiler allthread for the studs and grade 8 lock washers and nuts and haven't had any problems since.

FtP
76' GMC K25 Sierra Classic Camper Special: propane powered 350ci/NV4500/205/D44/SRW 14B/4:10/tach,tilt,a/c - daily driver
77' GMC K35 Sierra Grande C/C: 350ci/SM465/205/D60/narrow 14B DRW/4:10
Flatbed
82' Chevrolet K30 C/C: 454ci/SM465/205/D60/narrow 14B DRW/4:56
Flatbed, 6"Rancho, Alcoa's

Last edited by Feel the 'Pane; 01-07-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Feel the 'Pane is offline   Reply With Quote