View Single Post
Old 01-07-2019, 10:40 PM   #54
Old57

Re: Just got an NV4500, can't find the oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel the 'Pane View Post
FYI : if AA sent you all cap screws, make sure they're all SAE & not metric (I got a mixed bag of both in my kit), & suggest that you buy or make studs in place of the bolts that connect the T-case to the trans. Not only did my cap screws come loose (while I was driving!), I had to make a special tool to tighten the cap screws, which probably contributed to them coming loose in the 1st place.

By the time I smelled the oil leak - I lost enough trans fluid to burn both main brgs & burn 3rd gear...

I bought a 2 ft piece of B-7 boiler allthread for the studs and grade 8 lock washers and nuts and haven't had any problems since.

FtP
Yes, there was a bag of hardware, both meteric and SAE. The back of the transmission takes the 8 metric bolts, the adapter and NP205 take the SAE. The thread pitches on both are close, and the SAE will thread into the metric holes, but not good. I installed everything over the weekend, and used thread locker on all hardware. The cap screws are tight to get to in a couple spots, but nothing I haven't encountered before. I cut a small piece of an allen wrench down, and used a 5/16" wrench to run it down snug, then was able to tighten them with a ratchet after that.