View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 07:29 PM   #5
85raiderburban

Re: short circuit fuse problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish1941 View Post
No start..check fusible link on purple ignition wire. Start circuit is dead if nothing in START position.

Hard to tell electrical troubles without seeing them BUT I'd
say no short there...resistance melted that fuse THEN system ground out killing the dash etc. Hot lead to grounds cause shorts
Pretty sure I figured out what happened.
Corrosion in the fuse holder caused heat build up. Fuse melt down which caused chain reaction in other tied in circuits.
However you need to fix that wiring. That is fire dept worthy right there. 30 amp fuse on 14g wire with 70 amps of draw is asking for trouble.
I would go at least a 10-12g wire under 8' long with what you said was on there.
Fuse for the wire size NOT the load. Fuse protects circuit NOT the accessory.
If load is too much for the wire then split the circuit.
Let me know if you need help in wire vs fuse circuits.
there is no fusible link at the starter wires. I replaced them with 12 gauge wire at the BAT+ terminal. i pulled apart the fuse panel and firewall plug. cleaned all the connections. It did have some the anti corrosive adhesive in there but not much. that yellow wire with melted fuse has been replaced with 12 gauge wire now. do you have a diagram of the starter circuit or if its snaked in wire I'm looking for?? I appreciate the feedback!
85raiderburban is offline   Reply With Quote