View Single Post
Old 04-02-2018, 06:51 AM   #27
special-K
Special Order

Re: Headers or manifolds

So, do the center dump manifolds like Grumpy shows work in C/10 frames or not? 2.5" ramshorns are a slick way to go. I have a set of Sanderson block huggers the guy I bought them from said were fitted on his C/10. I'm not sure they will or not, but I have both 2wd and 4wd so I bought them.

Here's a little story from my 45 years experience with these trucks. I was only 13 building models 50 years ago in '68 . In '89 I had a dual exhaust system made up from the manifolds on my '71 Custom Camper. I always did headers since my first truck, a '72 I bought in '73. But this '71 was all original in fantastic condition as well as a very well optioned example. I still had to have my dual exhaust w/turbo mufflers, though.

So, with new dual exhaust, sounding real sweet, we head cross country to Taos, NM. Visited my sister and took a route up into CO, through 4-corners, and on across to the North Rim of Grande Canyon. Came back down the decent, into the flat, hit the gas (no throttle used on decent) and it sounded like pure hell. I look to find one manifold all exploded where it all collects. Hobbled it on down to Flagstaff sounding like an old farm tractor to a quality exhaust shop. Couldn't find any manifolds in the area and the only headers in town were El Cheapo crap. It hurt my feelings, but I had no choice but to have him use those, cut my fresh custom pipes, and dogleg them into the El Cheapos so we could continue on our way. I even had a set of Blackjack AK5000s in the box back home I decided not to use to retain the manifolds.

That truck got run all over the place on trips, as well as around the area with camper removed. I drove that truck till '04 with that same exhaust system I never had to touch. I did do heads and timing chain at one point, so gaskets at head got replaced once.

I have another manifold total failure story as well. I'm not dissing manifolds, and I could go either way these days. But, both options can have an issue same as anything on a vehicle. My experience has been no more with one than the other. But when it comes with dealing with the issues that may occur, I'll take headers any day. No one likes to deal with donut gaskets or issues with the studs, which are fairly common. When new, there are no issues with either.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-02-2018 at 07:03 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote