View Single Post
Old 07-15-2017, 04:09 PM   #25
Shtudwn

Re: Edelbrock carb hard starting

This is an interesting thread and points to some of my issues with my Edlebrock 1405. I struggled with a rebuilt 1405 until I gave up and bought a new one and still I have issues.

The first issue I had seemed to be rust. I pulled the original fuel tank and I couldn't see a bit of rust. I reinstalled and it seemed that the mechanical fuel pump was toast. I replaced it with a new one I happened to have and the truck ran great! .....right up until it died on me! It started to die as I was driving. We pushed it into the parking lot and removed the air cleaner only to hear the the sound like a kettle on boil. I pulled the carb and thought that I would buy a spacer but not sure if I don't have a combination of issues?

I have a 350 SB out of a 1971 El Camino. It is stock with a OEM HEI Distributor. I have an older Edelbrock Performer Intake which I believe is a 2101 4-bbl Spread-Bore Carb Flange (non-EGR). On top of that is an Edelbrock 2696 Four-Hole Square-Bore to Spread-Bore Carburetor Adapter and then my Manual choke with 4-barrel square-bore carburetor flange 1405.

Question is can I, or should I, run a spacer to insulate from the heat if this is a "fuel Boil" issue? If so, and I did buy a Edelbrock 9266 Heat Insulator Gasket, where do I place it? Between the Adapter and the carb? Lastly, could this all be a fuel pump issue due to the mechanical fuel pump? Shoud l I run an electric low-pressure pump?

Thank you to anyone who tackles this. It's killing me not to drive this truck!

Dan

Last edited by Shtudwn; 07-16-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Shtudwn is offline   Reply With Quote