Thread: Restoring Rusty
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 01:12 AM   #5234
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Restoring Rusty

Confessions of a Daily Driver

As you may recall last month in March my '74 became my daily driver, but since my wife had foot surgery and was off of work for most of the month, I must admit I cheated and drove her 2010 Honda Pilot instead, mea culpa

but I took that time to make a few changes to make the truck more driveable

1. I put the power steering back on, on a 4,000 pound truck it just makes sense

2. I put the Magnaflow mufflers back on since my 12 year old daughter complained the Thrush Rattlers were just too loud

3. I finished the carburetor conversion from a 4160 to a 4150 (duel fuel inlets instead of a single, and center hung float bowls instead of side hung) and I was able to tune it so it runs the best it ever had

4. and you most recently seen me replace the bench seat with buckets plus a middle jump seat

all these things make the truck more suited for daily driving, and this month (April) I drive it daily

I've been watching my MPGs and they went from 12.6 MPG to 13.8 so with a 16 gallon tank I can get 220 miles out of a tank, but I have a system where I fill it up every 200 miles and use the odometer as a guide, so at 4,200 then at 4,400, then at 4,600

one more thing, I am about to hit 5,000 miles on the newly rebuilt motor and brand new speedometer, happy days
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote